Friday, November 13, 2009

What got us started

Ryan and I were on a walk with the family the other day. In case you haven't been keeping up on our blog, we are two days in and plan to keep that up :) Paxton has been riding his bike while we walk. He is still in training wheels and Ryan and I both yelled at him "are you ready to take the training wheels off" He yelled back with a quick "NO" as he zoomed by.
Then we talked about how Gauge could start riding his bike if we had Paxton's training wheels to put on them (because we won't buy another pair!)
At that point Paxton jumped off his bike and leaned over for awhile. I whispered to Ryan that I thought he was filling his bike with gas.
It was at that moment that
Ryan started to tell me a story. He told it like it was occurring to him as he was saying it. Thinking back, small smile on his face while he remembered how it went. Then he told me, "ya know, I used to have a little trike. Mom told me that for a long time she was finding broken down spots in the driveway and she didn't know where they were coming from. After some investigation and being unable to figure out what was happening, she figured it out. Sheila told Ryan that she found him in the driveway one day, filling his trike with gasoline."
He would lean over next to it. Find the pretend gas tank and REALLY pour gas "into the tank" which resulted in holes...in the driveway. He told me that when she relayed the story to him she just laughed. She didn't get mad at him, she thought it was funny. He said that she thought it was a bit of a mind bend because that's when she realized how much her little boy was watching her. Ryan had been watching her put gas into the tractors and the lawn mower.
My mind wandered to Sheila's laugh... I am sure you can all hear it. I love her laugh.
I have not spent a lot of alone time with Sheila but I had one experience with her that I will never forget and I proceeded to tell it to Ryan.
Having never been alone with my mother in law that long I was a little nervous when I was the one to take her in my car on a trip we were on. Sheila jumped into the car and I thought "What do I say? What do we talk about?" I am not really good with small talk!!
So, I did what all nervous daughters in law would do, I turned on the radio. Then I realized that I had my Garth Brooks CD in and Ryan had told me that she loved Garth Brooks.
When I turned it on she just looked at me and smiled. She said, "Do you know the songs?" Yes I know the songs! So I turned it up and the two of us sang and harmonized at the top of our lungs to Garth Brooks all the way home.
When it was happening I thought...I will never forget this.
So when I relayed the story to Ryan that thought occurred to me again. How do I never forget this...and then the blog was born.
-Whitney

No comments:

Post a Comment